Sunday, November 23, 2008

Talkin' Turkey





One "perk" about living away from family is having my nice little cozy Thanksgiving dinner here all by our lonesome. That probably sounds weird. I loved having Thanksgiving with our family the last few years and I have such great memories of Thanksgiving as a child going to my Grandparents houses on both sides. But I do love to make my own Thanksgiving dinner, decorate for Christmas the next day and eat all the YUMMY turkey leftovers! I think I cooked my first turkey when I was 19??? I could be wrong but I think that's the first Thanksgiving Reese and I were off on our own. It was that or when I was 21. I take pride in my turkey and Reese and I like to do it together, a little joint effort. That all being said I am VERY excited to go "up north" for Christmas this year. I don't want both holidays all by our lonesome!




This year it will just be us three, so we will have a little turkey leftover :) Yippee! That means I get to transform the leftovers into more yummy things! So I thought I'd share some ideas for transforming turkey leftovers.




Good Ole' Cold Turkey


When we were little my sisters and brothers and I would eat cold leftover turkey dipped in mayo and mustard mixed together. You can bet I will be enjoying a little of that this coming weekend!




Hot Turkey Sandwiches


Classic! I am sure for lunch one day we will have some hot turkey sandwiches. I always save some gravy, heat it and some turkey in a sauce pan and serve it over toast. A little leftover mashed potatoes always makes its way in too.




Turkey Wild Rice Soup


This soup has all my favorites in it. I found this recipe last year and it's a keeper!




3/4 cup chopped onion


3 Tbsp butter


2 cups diced turkey


1 (6 oz) package long grain wild rice mix


5 cups water


1 chicken bouillon cube


1 cup broccoli flowerets


1/2 cup coarsely shredded carrots


1 cup half and half


salt and pepper to taste




In Dutch oven saute onion in butter until crisp tender. Add turkey, both packets from rice mix, water and bouillon. Bring to a boil; stir, cover and simmer 20 minutes or until rice is tender. Add broccoli and carrot. Cover and simmer 5 minutes more. Stir in half and half. Heat to serving temperature; do not boil. Season with salt and pepper. Makes 6 servings




Spanish Rice Turkey Casserole


Here is a new one that I am going to try this year. I'll let you know how it turns out.




2 pkgs Spanish Rice mix


1/4 cup butter, cubed


4 cups water


1 can(14 1/2 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained


1 can (10 oz) diced tomatoes with green chiles, undrained


3 ccups cubed cooked turkey or chicken


1 can whole kernal corn, drained


1/2 cup sour cream


1 cup (4 oz) shredded Mexican Cheese blend, divided




In large skillet, saute rice in butter until golden brown, gradually stir in water, tomatoes and contents of rice seasoning packets and bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 15-20 minutes or until rice is tender.




Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine turkey, corn, sour cream, and 1/2 cup cheese. Stir in rice mixture. Transfer to a greased 3 qt baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake uncovered at 375 for 20-25 minutes or until heated through. Serves 8


What do you make with your turkey leftovers??









3 comments:

Lindsey said...

I have to vote that my favorite is the hot turkey sandwhiches with some gravy, mashed potatoes and maybe a little stuffing on top!!
Have a great Thanksgiving the 3 of you and enjoy getting all your Christmas things out! I am glad that Reese will be home as I am sure you and Lane are as well!

michele said...

I love this post!!! And by the way, YUM!

michele said...

A blog worth visiting: Lions, Tigers and Boys Oh My -- she has three adorable boys, she is "celebrating" her mom today and her post made me cry.