Friday, September 16, 2011

Paying Attention to What God is Saying


I feel vulnerable. Ever since Case died I have felt more anxiety than I've ever felt in my life, like at any moment something else can happen. So I brace for it. In the over year and a half since his death I have gotten so much better. I can feel myself relaxing, but then something will happen. A natural disaster, a threat to our country, a threat to my community and my family because of my husbands job. A lot of people live their lives thinking it won't happen to them. But I guess I can't tell myself that, it can happen to anyone, that is the scary reality. In my life I have been called a worry wart but my response to that would be, "no, I am a realist." I know what it feels like to have something ripped from you, my mom and then my son, amongst other smaller losses. Sometimes I wonder if God is really there. But then He usually speaks to me through something. Today He spoke to me through my devotional, which I almost just skipped reading all together. But I decided to pay attention to what God was saying, and I am glad I did.

Since we are His children, we will share His treasures-for everything God gives to His Son, Christ, is ours too. But if we are to share His glory, we must also share His suffering. Yet what we suffer now is nothing compared to the glory He will give us later. Romans 8: 17-18

Here is the part of the devotion that stood out to me:

"Does it sometimes seem as if you've lost everything dear to you, and do you wonder what else is going to be taken from you? Someday each one of us will leave this earth and let go of everyone we have loved and everything we have enjoyed. We'll be left with only our eternal inheritance. But Paul has done the math, and by his careful calculations he assures us that what we suffer here is nothing compared to the glory of our eternal inheritance. NOTHING. It seems a stretch to us from where we sit. But if you don't trust his calculations, if you do not highly value your eternal inheritance, you will overvalue what God has given you on earth and your grip on it will become a tyranny to you. But as you value the privilege of being an heir with Jesus, you will begin to live like the glory he will share with you one day is worth everything it may cost you. You will see your suffering as a severe mercy that keeps you from falling more deeply in love with the comforts, securities, and pleasures of this world so you can anticipate more fully a rich and rewarding inheritance in the next."

I honestly don't know if I can take anymore heartache, but I am reminded today that if I grip too tightly, it will control me. I will do anything to protect my family, my children. But I need to do what I can and leave the rest to God. And trust that in the end we will enjoy a indescribable inheritance together.

Lane, Mommy, and Estelle 4/2011 (Andrea Gallagher Photography)


Daddy, Case, and Mommy 12/2009

3 comments:

michele said...

Your ears for God are necessary and will provide you the strength you need.
You have faced a lot of heartache and you face a lot of uncertainty with Reese's job. Keep looking to God for strength, he will keep giving it to you.
Case! Oh that little face. I know you miss so many things about that sweet, chubby, happy, cuddly baby boy.
I will pray for you extra this weekend.
Oh heaven!! It will be WAY BETTER than we can BEGIN to imagine.
Sending you love. Wish we could go thrift store shopping together or watch our sweet kids be silly together. I miss you.

Andrea Gallagher Photography said...

You have been on my heart so much lately. I am praying for you and I really loved this post Natasha. Thank you so much for sharing this heartfelt and transparent reminder. You are an amazing women and mama:)

Mo and BZ said...

Natasha ~ You are such an encouragement to me, and so many others. Just read your post today. ahhh.......We are living in an imperfect world where bad things happen all the time. We are not immune because we love Jesus. I love that you know that reality and yet you are real and honest about what you feel. I can identify with the fears you shared, of something else happening. I definitely experience those thoughts. BUT, we have a God who is in control and loves us, and we rest in that, right? Thanks for sharing your heartache and your joy. It is amazing how with God, those two things can coexist.:) Praying for you today~ Monica