Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Granola Anyone?

Here is one of my favorite recipes lately. Reese LOVES it and it's great over yogurt, with milk, or with yogurt and fruit, like a parfait. It can get a little spendy, but so is buying granola at the store and I think this is the cheapest way I have found to make it. I by the ingredients at the commissary(which helps!) and Costco. Here are my step by step instructions:


First, get yourself a big ole bowl. Mix 10 cups rolled oats, 1 cup wheat germ, 1/2 lb shredded coconut, 2 cups sunflower seeds (more or less), and 1 1/2 cups almonds, pecans, or walnuts. Next....



In a saucepan mix 1 1/2 cups brown sugar, packed, 1 1/2 cups water, 3/4 cup vegetable oil, 1/2 cup honey, 1/2 cup molasses, 1 1/2 tsp salt, 2 tsp ground cinnamon, and 3 tsp vanilla extract. Heat until sugar is dissolved, do not boil.



Pour mixture over the oatmeal mixture and stir to coat.



Divide between jelly roll pans, roasting pans, 9x13's, whatever you got. I use a jelly roll pan, 9x13 pan and a roasting pan. Bake at 300 (depending on your oven, today I went up to 325) for 30-40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.


Add dried fruit of your choice. I usually add craisins, but I got some WONDERFUL dried blueberries at Costco the other day. They are a little spendy though, I don't think I can do that everytime. I could probably get 2-3 batches out of the bag of blueberries though.


And here is the finished product. I keep it in a big jar I got from Ikea. Just make sure it's in an airtight container and you can store it up to 6 months, although it usually only lasts 1 1/2 -2 weeks in our house. You can halve the recipe really easily too. Enjoy! Also, I posted the new menu for the week this week too. Haven't done that for a few weeks now.

6 comments:

Elaina said...

That looks so good. I will have to make some!

Lindsey said...

I craved that for days after I got home from San Diego, but haven't had time to make any. I think this is for sure on my to do list once we return from Vegas! It makes my mouth water just looking at the pictures!
So Yummy!

Lesha said...

The first thing I thought, you are such a hippee. Just kidding. And then I looked closer at the picture and almost started crying. I saw the bottle of vanilla I bought you at Costco. Awh, I miss you. I am in a strange mood.

That does look like a vonderful recipe

MOPS said...

yummy! and good ole GRUB for dinner. that was a favorite of rod's and the boys for years.

Anonymous said...

Yummy!!!!

michele said...

Yum! I love the pictures!!